Papa Wolf Jc blissed out with the pups in fresh powder.
What’s In Our Winter Hiking Kit For Dogs + Safety Tips
“What’s in your winter hiking kit for dogs ”? We’ve been adventuring with the Husky Squad in the winter for over ten years, and I’m excited to share with you what’s in our packs for our dogs, for the humans, and what’s in our vehicle for the winter too. I also include LIFE-SAVING SAFETY TIPS you NEED to know BEFORE heading out to play in winter wonderland.
WHY WINTER HIKING GEAR IS ESSENTIAL
Winter conditions require different gear for more enjoyment and safety precautions. The snowy winter wonderland regions in the world are absolutely stunning and become our playground for humans and dogs who can’t get enough of this magical season. BUT… We must be careful. We don’t want these magical experiences to turn into nightmares, and we also want to maximize the fun while we’re out there. All of this is possible when you put together a fantastic winter hiking kit for dogs and humans included!
OUR WINTER HIKING KIT INCLUDES
Compact trail water bowl
Large musher’s secret
No-Spill water bowl
Large emergency kit
Good winter tires
Reflective emergency kit
Additional Microfiber towels
Recovery traction boards (pick a neon color for higher visibility if needed!)
SHOP OUR ENTIRE WINTER KIT
You’ll find a curated list of all products we use. Click the button below.
YOUR DOG COULD BE EATING LIKE THIS
...and it's easier than you think!
DOGGO LIFE MEMBERSHIP CLUB
DIY TOE BEANS THERAPY CREAM and so much more is coming to the Doggo Life Membership Club.
LIFE-SAVING TIPS FOR ADVENTURING IN THE WINTER WITH DOGS
- ICE BALLS. If your dog gets ice-balls in the paws, you didn’t put enough Musher’s Secret. If your dog is walking differently or limping, check immediately and remove those ice-balls. They hurt!
- YOUR DOG IS FIRST. Understand our dog’s breed, health, age – and individual. It can be TOO cold, even for some huskies. We all know some dogs like to literally chill in winter storms, but you will know your dog best. Take shorter trips first to allow your dog to acclimate and for you to become a keen observer. Things change, and age changes things too! Always keep a close eye.
- KEEP IT MOVING. This is how you and your dog stay warm and that is critical in winter conditions, especially for your dog. Standing around static for a while without continued movement speeds up feeling colder which can lead to hypothermia and frostbite. Taking a photo is fine, but I’m sure you understand what I mean. This especially applies when it’s single digits (Fahrenheit) and lower, windy, or storming.
- PAW TLC. Chemical exposure in trail parking lots and roads due to ice melt products is REAL, SERIOUS, and VERY DANGEROUS to dogs. Dogs often ingest products while cleaning and grooming themselves. Soak, wash, and care for paws after each adventure to avoid health implications. Add your name to the DOGGO LIFE CLUB MEMBERSHIP list for our home-made holistic Toe Beans Winter TLC Routine and so much more!
- SLICK ICE can be very harmful to dogs and can cause painful injuries. These injuries can impact your dog’s entire life! AVOID ice filled trails, and get non-slip booties if absolutely needed. It’s best to avoid icy, slippery trails altogether.
- FROZEN LAKES can be deceiving and VERY dangerous. Learn, research, test again and again and be patient. When in doubt – just don’t do it! Early in the winter season is usually the most dangerous. We keep the pups on a leash before arriving at any lake in the winter just to be safe. Once we test and feel 100000% confident, we PLAY!
- STAY DRY. Hypothermia is even more dangerous in the winter, but the most dangerous enemy is moisture and being wet. Watch the video below where we talk about what we do and use to stay dry in the winter with our pups!
WATCH THE VIDEO HERE
MY CLOSING THOUGHTS ABOUT OUR WINTER ADVENTURE KIT FOR DOGS
I loved writing this blog, and I’m excited for you to enjoy safe winter hikes with your dog. I hope you find our winter adventure kit highly beneficial! For our hands-free leash and belt kit, visit this blog. Remember, safety is always the number one priority. If your intuition tells you not to go too deep, too far, or anything in between – listen! Your intuition is hardly ever wrong. Be safe and enjoy this magical season with your dog!
Kimahri photogpraphed in France with the Canon M50 Mirorless CameraThe best camera for dog photography is ultimately the camera you can use every day with ease. “What camera do you use for the Husky Squad”? This is one of the most common questions we’re asked on...
I love the freedom and focus of the hands-free leash setup.“Which Hands-Free Dog Leash and Belt do you use for the Husky Squad”? This question is hands-down one of the top three dog product related questions we receive on Youtube and Instagram. In this blog, I’m...
After sunset at our beatiful tiny house.Are you curious what life is like living in a tiny house with dogs? Are you a dog parent who’s intrigued by tiny house living? You found the right blog! We’ve been living tiny with our three Siberian Huskies since summer 2021,...